Maia Makhateli (Tbilisi, Georgia) comes from a real dance family. Her father runs a ballet school in the United States and her brother used to be a principal with The Royal Ballet in England and is now an internationally sought-after guest soloist and founder of the international dance agency D&D. Maia began her dance training at the Choreographic Institute of Vakhtang Chabukiani in her hometown. At the age of sixteen she left with her parents for the United States, where she studied at the San Valley Ballet School in Idaho. After that she danced four years at the Colorado Ballet. In 2006, she switched to the Birmingham Royal Ballet, but she found England ‘too cold and grey’ and auditioned for the Dutch National Ballet, where she started as a grand sujet in 2007. In 2009, she was promoted to soloist and a year later to principal.
Maia is also an internationally sought-after guest soloist. She has also won various prizes, including the Nina Ananiashvili & Gilbert Albert Star Award (2011) and the Alexandra Radius Prize (2015). In 2019 she was nominated for the prestigious Benois de la Danse, for her performance of the role of Marguerite in La Dame aux Camélias.
- With the Dutch National Ballet since: 2007
- Place of birth: Tbilisi (Georgia)
- Career with Dutch National Ballet: Principal (2010), soloist (2009), grand sujet (2007)
- Previously danced with: Colorado Ballet (Denver, United States), Birmingham Royal Ballet (Birmingham, United Kingdom)
- Training: Tbilisi Choreographic Institute of Cabukiani (Tbilisi, Georgia)
- Awards: 2015, Alexandra Radius Award 2011, Nina Ananiashvili & Gilbert Star Award (Georgia) 2002, Youth American Grand Prix 2002 (New York City, United States), finalist 2002, Denver Ballet Guild's Young Dancer’s competition (United States), 1st 2002, Youth America Grand Prix Competition (Denver, United States), 2nd 2001, Chabukiani-Balanchine International Ballet Competition 2001, Internationae Ballet Festival, ‘diplomat’ (Kazan, Russia)