Following his career with the Czech National Ballet in Prague and the Swiss Zürcher Ballett, Jozef Varga (Nové Zámky, Slovakia) joined Dutch National Ballet in 2007, where he immediately received a contract as a principal.
Jozef trained at the Conservatoire for Dance in Bratislava and at the Académie de Danse Princesse Grace in Monte Carlo. He has won awards at several international ballet competitions and was awarded the Alexandra Radius Prize in 2010.
Joseph has danced all the important roles in the classical repertoire and is a much sought-after guest principal at international ballet galas. In 2012, the British magazine Dance Europe listed him in its top hundred of the best dancers in the world. In October 2020, he received a mention in the Critics’ Choice of the same magazine, in the category ‘Outstanding performance by a male dancer’.
- With Dutch National Ballet since: 2007
- Place of birth: Nové Zámky (Slovakia)
- Career with Dutch National Ballet: Principal (2007)
- Previously danced with: Czech National Ballet (Prague, Czech Republic), Ballett Zürich (Zürich, Switzerland)
- Training: Conservatoire for Dance (Bratislava, Slovakia), Académie de Danse Princesse Grace (Monte Carlo, Monaco)
- Awards: 2012 Dance Europe: top 100 best dancers worldwide 2008-2009, Alexandra Radius Prize 1998, Eurocity Danscompetition (Italy), 2nd 1997, International Dance concours (Viena, Austria), 3rd 1997, International Dance concours (Györ, Hungary), 2nd